Search engine marketing in India involves the promotion of your website by increasing your visibility with the help of search engines like Google and Bing. It is one of the methods to attract your target audience and is also called Pay-per-click marketing because you have to pay only when someone clicks on your ad.
In this article, you will get to know more about search engine marketing in India. Google has made the ad creation process so easier that marketers usually forget the strategy part. So we will first cover the Search Engine Marketing strategy and then we will show you the tactics used while doing search engine marketing in India.
Use the following links to jump to a specific section on the page:
- Search Engine Marketing Strategy in India
- Search Engine Marketing Tactics in India
Search Engine Marketing Strategy in India
Search Engine Marketing strategy involves two major tasks: creating a campaign and continuous improvement of the campaign.
Creation of a campaign involves creating an ad to attract your target audience and driving them to your website. But, everyone who saw your ad won’t click it and even if they do, they won’t necessarily buy something. This is where continuous improvement comes in. In this process, you will have to make improvements in your campaign based on the data generated while running the ads, such as how many people clicked on your ad and what did they do after visiting your website.
The purpose of this strategy is to achieve profitability. If you won’t achieve profitability, you will lose money every time you make a sale. For instance, if you have a ₹ 1000 product, and its production and distribution cost is ₹500, and your advertising cost turns out to be ₹600 (for every product sold), then you will be losing ₹100 every time you sell a product. This is not good for business.
Achieving profitability takes time, but still, Search Engine Marketing is the fastest way to do the same compared to other digital marketing strategies. Within a week of running a campaign, you can get actionable insights to carry out improvements and you can even achieve profitability within a month.
There are different types of ads you can create like search ads, display ads, shopping ads and universal app ads. In the next section, we will show you the tactics to create ads.
Search Engine Marketing Tactics in India
Search ads are the ad which comes before the search results on Google. Here is an example of search ads:
Search ads should come under sales and not marketing because we are reaching out to the people who looking for a product and have a buying intent. So, every single click holds some value. That is why they are the most expensive.
If you haven’t started with search engine marketing, then you should first try Search ads because they are the easiest to setup.
- It gives you quality traffic because people who search for something want their problems to be solved.
- Targeting is easy in search ads compared to display ads.
- These ads are expensive, because of the high competition.
- It gives a limited reach.
- Difficult to run these ads for products which are hardly searched.
How to improve your search ads
Google earns money from advertisers when someone clicks on their ad, that’s why it’s called Pay-per-click ad. So, one of the most important metric to Google is CTR (Click through rate). It is a ratio showing how often people who see your ad end up clicking it. Google also charges less for the ad which has the highest CTR. Therefore, improving CTR should be your biggest priority. The following points show you how you can do the same:
- Experiment with different ads
- Experiment with different keywords
- Experiment with the combination of different keywords and ads
- Use relevant Meta description
- Use call to action (CTA) like ‘learn more’, or ‘buy now’.
- Use relevant content on the landing page
- Add more features such as free shipping, Cash on delivery, or free consultation
- Build trust by adding features like “30-day money-back guarantee” or “50+ happy clients”
Display ads can be shown on different websites, blogs, apps and Gmail accounts. However, they will not appear on all blogs and apps. They will appear if publishers have chosen to monetize their websites and thus allowed Google to show ads using Google AdSense.
Here are some of the examples of display ads.
This is a banner ad from Semrush. It appears on the top of the website.
Here is an ad from Rentomojo which is present on the left side of this blog.
Display ads may come in 25 different sizes, but you don’t have to resize all your ads. Google automatically resizes your ads to fit different ad slots.
- Gives more reach (reaches more people for the same amount) compared to search ads.
- Drives cheaper traffic to your website.
- Helps with creating brand awareness
- Good to show to people who are not searching for your product but are facing a problem you can solve
- May bring irrelevant traffic
- Needs a good copy on the website (landing page) to convert
- Complex targeting (there are options to target users, website or a combination of both)
How to improve the performance of Display ads
- Use the product image and CTAs like Buy Now for users who are willing to buy your product
- Use informational image and CTAs like Learn More for users who are still in the awareness stage
Shopping ads are also known as product listing ads because they help you list your products in front of the users.
These ads may appear on the side of search results like this:
Or, they may appear within the search results like this:
As you can see there are only 4 things you can display in these ads: an image of the product, name of the product, Price and name of the website. Sometimes you also get an option to display additional features like free delivery.
Shopping ads only appear in search results when users have buying intent. This makes them a killer strategy for e-commerce stores since they can drive extremely relevant traffic to the website.
Universal App Ads
Universal app campaign lets you create ads to promote your app on Google platforms. Here is an example of a universal app ad which appears on Google when searched from a mobile device:
App ads are one of the easiest to set up and manage. Ads are automatically designed using the app’s Google play store listing. Bidding, targeting and optimizing is done automatically by Google.
Have you ever seen an ad while reading a blog which shows a product you were recently looking for? For instance, this is the book we were searching on Amazon:
And, a similar display ad appeared on the right sidebar of a blog we were reading:
This is because Amazon is running a remarketing campaign.
A remarketing campaign helps in bringing back lost users. For this campaign, you have to create a separate list for each product. But, you don’t have to create these ads yourself; Google automatically creates ads based on the products the user is visiting on your site.
The process of using the data, generated from user behaviour to improve conversion rates is called conversion optimization or conversion rate optimization (CRO). It is used to increase conversions through the website. Here are some simple tips to improve your conversion rates:
- Experiment with different ad types: Search ads, display ads, YouTube ads and Gmail ads.
- Experiment with different keywords, websites and user segments.
- Reduce overspending by turning off underperforming ads.
- Decrease website loading time.
- Use relevant content on your website.
- Use data to get more insights to improve the overall user experience.
- Add negative keywords regularly to eliminate irrelevant traffic.
- Use CTA to take users in the next stage of the buyer’s journey.
To know more about conversion optimization click here: Conversion Optimization Made Simple.
Even though Search engine marketing is extremely useful for businesses, it is still considered as an expense. We hope that after reading this article you will start considering it as an asset and not as an expense.
Search engine marketing is just a part of the overall digital marketing strategy. If you want to learn about complete digital marketing strategy please read this blog post: Digital Marketing in India: Strategy and Tactics.
Also, if you would like to collaborate with us for anything at all, don’t hesitate to reach out.